During yesterdays reversion back to Drupal7 and subsequent website resurrection, module updates, database rebuilds and general housekeeping... I got a bit clever with myself and managed to lock up my admin profile and lose the password and disable the "email lost password" mechanism in Drupal. Aaaaargh!!!
But after a little googling I found a need solution. Hope this helps someone else that's as fat-fingered as I am.
Problem - Locked up Drupal profile and lost password
I have access to Drubal database but can see the password is stored in a HASh value which is not readable. It looks something like this:
So, to reset the pasword we need to (a) know a password ie: 'sausages' and (b) convert that password the HASH value. Each and every HASH value is unique to your instance of Drupal. I found a few different solutions mostly involving running scripts and updating the SQL database manually. Since I do now have command line access but I do have control panel access so I can (a) update the SQL database and (b) upload files to the server -- this technique was really easy.