Step 5 – play with RDi
SPOILER ALERT – it runs great.
RDi 9.6 *feels* slightly faster than RDi 9.5. I think this is because it’s Eclipse 4.6 but… but… that might be my imagination.
The hover on field values is really good and I can already see that being productive:
- The compile listing functions seem much better
- I love the "extract procedure refactoring” function. This lets us easily select blocks of code, for example a subroutine, wand convert that code into a reusable sub-procedure
- IBM also improved the preference search filter
- Improvements to the SQL formatter
- Improved editor navigation marking occurrences of variables
- V9.6 also has a number of fixes to the previous release
You can watch a video of the RDi install later in this module.