I’ve been working on an interesting project focused on taking some old RPG code and re-factoring it to make it more efficient. Fascinating work for a client that is focused on doubling its IBM i throughput and reducing the CPU load of all its old programs. This has frequently made me choose between writing a

Read More

Write Clean RPG Code This morning I was revisiting a program that I wrote last year and looking at my code thinking “Why the hell did I write it like that? #Ugly”. RPG code evolves and lots of code evolution starts in one direction and then branches off, drunkenly in another direction. This means that

Read More

Source code line number sequencing in Rational Developer for IBM i Updating a source member and adding a bunch of lines will re-sequence the line numbers by default. Turning re-sequencing *OFF lets us clearly see added, deleted or changed blocks of code. We can set this on the exit line of SEU and also if

Read More

Naughty Special Characters – from Dollars to Pounds. Another IBM I Developer was having this weird problem with an IFS file. Trying to figure out the code page problems with a file that had been emailed from a British IBM i Server. naughty special characters- Java and IBMi might get upset! When the Java QSHELL command

Read More

Over the last year I’ve been using SQL more and more for all my RPG file access needs. The more I use it the more I like it and I’m building my own little set of reusable components and settled in with some naming standard that work for me. I thought I would enter them

Read More