So, my NETGEAR WNDR3700 WIRELESS ROUTER has failed. Working one day – Dying the next. This is the second WNDR3700 Router that has failed for me, with the same problem. The first one failed within a few months of ownership and was replaced by Netgear. This second (replacement) unit is now 3 years old and has failed of the same thing. At three years old, hardware failure for these is not shockingly rare but I was still hoping for Netgear to step up and fix/replace what seems like a design fault. I know I was hoping for too much… so far this is what has happened:
I logged into the support system and it shows me (to my delight) that the hardware warranty on my WNDR3700 goes thru to July 2015. YAY!
Then I notice that their support system is showing that this unit, was purchased this year. AAARGH!
Obviously a problem with the Netgear support and warranty system – but as it is showing that the unit is under warranty lets see if Netgear will honor it:
So, lets raise a support issue:
- raise a support issue at http://www.mynetgear.com
- describe exact problem with antenna, attach serial number of unit, explain this is a common problem with the WNDR3700 – ask what the support options are?
- Netgear ask for confirmation of sales receipt and warranty info
- Attach sales receipt and screen shot of the NETGEAR support screen showing it is in warranty
- Netgear ask for confirmation of warranty information *again* but by email this time
- email the same copy of the sales receipt and warranty information from their system
- Netgear inform me that (a) they have updated their own support system and now show the unit as out of warranty and (b) to “have a nice day!!”
Having the WNDR3700 unit out of warranty is one thing, but the sarcastic reply is just adding salt to the wound.
/me goes shopping for a wireless router from CISCO