New Version 9.6 of Rational Developer for i (RDi) announced. It has lots of minor tweaks and a couple of major tweaks and at least one #NICKLITTENAPPROVED tweak (now we can press ENTER to split code lines).
- Rational Developer for i, V9.6 is finally compatible with Eclipse 4.6, providing new base functionality and integration with other application development tools.
- Error reporting is enhanced to use annotations that highlight the columns within the line that have caused compile errors. This location information is maintained even as lines are added and deleted from the source. As the cursor hovers over an error, the message appears along with a link to second-level help.
- Hovering over variables now shows the containing data structure or external file and record and also any other contributors to the definition of this field and enable you to hyperlink to them.
- The hovers are enhanced to show the associated documentation for the given RPG declaration, encouraging better comments as they are even more useful with greater visibility. Any unused declarations can now optionally be flagged within the source. Pressing the enter key within free-form RPG now intelligently splits the line and repositions the cursor.
- The building of i projects can now be invoked with a convenient shortcut. You can conveniently set the IBM i connection and library for all the selected i projects in one action.
- Rational Developer for i, V9.6 ships with the current version of Access Client Solutions and the Java™ Toolbox.
- RPG and COBOL + Modernization Tools, Java Edition now supports IBM WebSphere® Application Server, V9.
[content_container max_width=’800′ align=’center’]CAVEAT EMPTOR: IBM announced it and then said ‘it wont be available until November 16 2017 in Passport Advantage’. Cheeky Buggers are just doing that tease us.
[thrive_countdown color=”blue” year=”2017″ month=”11″ day=”16″ hour=”00″ min=”00″ fade=”0″][/content_container]
So, nothing gob-smacking but lots of cool tweaks.
For me, the quietly mentioned “pressing ENTER splits the source” is a huge productivity change. This always bugged me 🙂
Rather annoyingly upgrading from V9.5 to V9.6 means a full download and reinstall rather than just clicking update.
[pullquote align=”normal” cite=”IBM i PROPELLER HEADS”]It is a new release so you will need to install it (you can not ‘update’ to it). There are new license activation kits. For full details click here[/pullquote]
Go and grab your own copy – download from here