We have a PUB400 Account - how can we login for the first time?
First of all - lets introduce you to some new words.
The world of IBM i has its own words for many common technology and/or software components. For example, logging in is commonly referred to as signing on. Terminal Mode is more commonly called green screen or 5250 Emulation
- SQL Schemas are called Libraries
- SQL Tables are called Files
- IBM i has a kind of combined Index/View called a Logical File
- Foreground processes are called Interactive Jobs
- Background processes are called Batch Jobs
- And every single thing on the system is called an object
Don't let that scare you - we will do a brief into to these concepts in the next module.
For now, we will expect you to have installed a 5250 emulator to allow you to signon in terminal mode.
Install a 5250 Terminal Emulator for the IBMi
Watch the instructions on how to install IBM i ACS (for its 5250 Emulator)
or, you can always check out any of the freeware alternatives out there. I recommend IBM i ACS but if you cannot use it for any reason then check out TN5250J
Signon with your credentials:
- configure your client to connect to PUB400.COM (yes, that is a valid DNS name. Do not enter an IP address!)
- When you connect, you should see a signon screen
- enter your user name and your initial password
- press enter or rCTL key (depending on your client config)
- at first signon you are forced to change your password (see the messages at the bottom of the screen)
- enter your initial password, and your new password twice.
- after the password change, you should see IBM i main menu